For a while now, we have been planning on making book planters for our succulents. Since the planting options for succulents is almost endless, we hadn’t made it a priority. Well, we have finally gotten around to it, and I am really excited about the results! Yesterday, I had a few minutes and decided to get one planted.
These look great, but they are actually a lot of work. Drilling (circular planters like above) or sawing (rectangular ones, will post later) through books is not as easy as it may seem. It is a very slow process. After the hole is made, we glue down the cover and then seal the top, bottom, and sides. Once waterproofing is complete, we add screening to the bottom and are then able to plant.
I enjoy having the size to plant with. The combinations of plants makes these so interesting. I used moss for the top dressing for the soil, but I am excited to experiment with using mosses like we have with other arrangements. For this particular book, I used an arachnoid sempervivum, a deep green sedum, a dark green echeveria and a panda plant Kalanchoe tomentosa.
The sun was setting as I was getting done and I just took one last picture before leaving the greenhouse. I am excited to start working with the rest of these book planters!
Hope you have a great week!